Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Monday, September 11, 2006

What a wonderful frightening world

I see trees so green, red roses too.
I watch them bloom for me and for you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Such are the words made immortal from the voice of Louis Armstrong. They speak of the beauty and splendor of God's creation and the sense of wonder that nature invokes.

But the truth is one could also write a song that says:

I see lions and tigers
and grizzly bears too
I watch them kill
O what should I do
And I think to myself, what a frightening world.

It seems that nature is sending us a mixed message. One one hand there is order and beauty, on the other hand there is death and destruction. Why is this?

I can't claim to know the full answer to this question, but it seems that God has instituted a cycle in nature to keep us from grasping at the temporary so our eyes can be fixed on the eternal. (see Ecclesiastes chapter 3)

Nature seems to be God's object lesson to humanity regarding the eternal choices that are set before us. Jesus said, "Narrow is the way that leads to life. Broad is the path that leads to destruction."

Yes there is evil and suffering in this world, but there is also grace and beauty. Life on earth is a test. Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Jesus is the sum total of everything good and right in the world. The question is-which way will you and I choose? I think everyone needs to ask themselves this question. The stakes are too high to ignore.

No comments: