Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Friday, January 12, 2007

That's something to be proud of

I'm having internet connection problems at home so I had to go to the community college today to get online. I was planning on a theologically profound article, but, alas, I forgot my Bible and at the moment I am too lazy to search this enormous library to find one. So I'll have to settle for giving you the lyrics of one of my favorite songs. I like it so much I downloaded it from Itunes. Believe it or not, when I first heard this song, I actually got a little teary-eyed. For those of you who can't stand country music, I sincerely apologize. Actually, I don't. It's my blog and I'll write country lyrics if I want to (lame joke I know...hey..I tried)

That's something to be proud of
That's a life you can hang your hat on
That's a chin held high, tear falls down
Gut sucked in, chest stuck out

Like a small town flag a flyin
Or a newborn baby cryin
In the arms of the woman that you love
That's something to be proud of


Why do I like this song? Because it has tapped in to an often- overlooked Biblical concept of simplicity. The Apostle Paul said, "Aspire to live a quiet and peacful life in all godliness and reverence." Our society too often measures success by status and achievement. Sometimes it's good to be reminded "You don't need to make a million. Just be thankful to be working" and "If all you ever really do is the best you can. You did it man. That's something to be proud of."

Being a minister (and an evangelist at that), it is very easy for me to get caught up in measuring my life by how good (or bad) I am at what I do. All too often my life is consumed not with enjoying God and His gracious gifts, but with the struggle to get ahead. Sometimes I need to be reminded that if I love God, love my wife, go to church, and do that best I can, that's something to be proud of.

I have a feeling I'm not the only one that needs to be reminded of this from time to time.

No comments: