Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Saturday, June 16, 2007

A promise kept

Over 50 years ago, Harold Taylor made a promise to Betty Lou. Not only did Harold promise to love Betty Lou and help raise her two children, but he promised to be a church going man for the sake of his family. Harold was non-religious at the time, but not necessarily antagonistic towards God. Betty Lou was a devout Catholic and was not about to marry a non-church going man, no matter how handsome he was.

When Harold and Betty said "I do", little did Harold know that they would have 10 additional children together, my dad being one of them. Harold was a navy man, so he would be gone for months at a time. Although Harold was not able to spend much time with his children while they were growing up, Harold kept his promise to faithfully love his wife and to take care of his family.
He also attended a Baptist church for the rest of his life.

The rest of Harold's life ended today.

Thank you Grandpa for teaching me the value of integrity.

I'll miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taylor Family,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. He was a great guy to play cards with and I'm sorry I didn't get to know him any better than that, but the legacy he leaves behind is the stuff that dreams are made of.
God Bless,
Pete

Anonymous said...

All,
Grandpa was a really great person... a true example of a dedicated family man and one of the sharpest people I have ever met; you couldn't get anything past him. I too will miss him very much. Though technically I have one biological grandfater left and have had a step-gradfather, Grandpa Taylor was MY gradpa and I will remember him forever.

Adam