Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Friday, July 31, 2009

Thinking about death

Two things in life are certain. Death and Taxes. Death isn't something we like to think about. Most of our lives we spend trying to avoid the subject. The Scripture says, "Out of the mouths of two to three witnesses shall every word be established." Yesterday I was reminded about death three different times due to something that I had read.

The first reminder came from a very moving article by a popular blogger known as "Jollyblogger." The article is entitled "What if you only had one month to live?" For Jollyblogger, the question isn't abstract. Jollyblogger has been diagnosed with cancer and he doesn't know how long he has to live. Now he's taking the time to think about the ultimate issues.

You can read Jollyblogger's very moving essay here:

The second reminder came from Philip Yancey's book Finding God in Unexpected Places. I just received the book yesterday and, lo and behold, the first chapter is about death. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. Yancey's insights about how so much of American culture is designed to avoid the inevitability of death is definitely worth the read.

The third reminder came from my daily Bible reading. In 2 Timothy 3:6-8, the Apostle Paul is nearing the end of his life. Here is what he says:

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.


I'd like to be able to say that at the end of my life. Perhaps the Holy Spirit is telling me something. Perhaps He's telling us all something.

Are we listening?

No comments: