Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Sunday, January 30, 2011

What Mohammed the boat captain thinks


I love going to the gym in the mornings. It gives me a chance to watch the news. It also gives me a chance to compare the differences between the major networks and how they cover the events of the day. Last Friday as I was working out on the treadmill, I caught a glimpse of CNN's analysis of what's happening in Egypt. The CNN storyline emphasized the precarious situation that President Obama faces, and the difficulty of navigating through the thorny issue of demonstrating loyalty to a key ally on the one hand and protecting the image of the U.S. as a promoter of democracy and human rights on the other hand. Fox News--predictably--portrayed the protests as a Muslim Brotherhood-led coup, as if there's no possible alternative between a U.S. backed secular human rights abuser and Shariah. The pundits can say what they want, but the reality is it's not their opinions that matter, it's the opinion of the Arab street that matters. Which is why I recommend my good friend Carl Medearis's book Tea with Hezbollah.

A few years back, Carl Medearis and Ted Dekker took a journey to the Middle East for the sole purpose of interviewing people whom the average American views as "the enemy", people like the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, the Bin Laden family, and leaders in Hamas and Hezbollah. Along the way, they also captured the opinions of ordinary Arab Muslims. While they were in Egypt, a man named Mohammed took them on a tour of the Nile. The following is a brief excerpt of an interview between Ted Dekker and Mohammed the boat captain.
Ted: What are the most important issues facing you and the world today?

Mohammed: Number one, to find work. Number two, to be able to eat. Number three, to build a house. Number four, to get married. Number five, to live in peace. I was in the '73 war, but war ruins everything. I just want to find a wife and live in peace.

Ted: What do most of your friends think about America?

Mohammed: America is controlling the world. They treat no one fairly, and if I told you anything else, I would be lying.


I saw on the news this morning that the tear gas canisters fired on the Egyptian protestors say "Made in the U.S.A." I wonder what Mohammed and his friends are thinking now?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I just watched a bit of the documentary where you met with Khalid Kenny, and had to look you up online. I have to say I'm glad to see someone who was portrayed at first as an conservative christian from the bible belt getting a broader perspective on the world and how USA is perceived in the rest of the world.
As an 23 year old swedish girl I have been brought up hearing about the conservative parts of the US, and thinking that that must be the fundamentalists of Christianity (but coming from the secular sweden maybe everything is...). Therefore I just want to show my appreciation for showing me a different view of America, and broadening my thoughts of the conservative parts of the US.

sorry for typo's, I did my best:)

Aaron D. Taylor said...

Thank you for writing. It's nice to see people from other countries reading my blog. I'm curious how you came across the documentary.

Anonymous said...

It was broadcasted on our public television channel "kunskapskanalen" (SVT) yesterday.
So I just happened to see it when I was going through the channels.

http://urplay.se/161052

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your ministry/ies, Aaron. America's churches can seem (to foreign Christians like me) as if the AntiChrist has really done a good job neutralising the Good News and sending everyone to sleep with a message of personal salvation that leads to self-centered delusion and stagnation in the Kingdom of God. But, God "will not break a bruised reed, and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out." So be sure that we are praying for you and for all followers of Christ in America.

Aaron D. Taylor said...

Thank you. Definitely keep us in your prayers!