Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

High School Reunion

Last Saturday, I attended my official rite of passage into adulthood-my high school reunion. Although I had a lot of friends in high school, I had lost contact with all of them until last Saturday. Surprisingly, it was nothing like the stereotypical surprises that everyone says happens at reunions such as these. There was no "beauty queen turned homely" kind of person there. In fact, I would say that those who were good looking in high school were even better looking 10 years later.

Also absent was the status issue. It was nothing like the movie Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Most of those who were there were happy with their wives and kids and seemed to be content that they had found reasonable employment. Some had careers in their chosen fields and I was very happy for them. Others were pleasantly surprised at what they were doing since they had little to no direction for their lives during their high school years.

I was happy to see that most of my fellow classmates had found a certain degree of meaning for their lives through their relationships with their spouses and the enjoyment of their work. The Bible teaches us to "enjoy the fruits of our labor." Simplicity is not a patronizing word, rather it's a Biblical concept. As the Apostle Paul said, "Aspire to lead a quiet and peaceful life in all godliness and reverence."

So for what it's worth. Congradulations class of 96. We did it!

No comments: