Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finally a Christian speaking out for singles!

I've been married since I was 23, so it's very difficult for me to relate to what it means to be a Christian single, but I've felt for a while that Christian singles, especially those past college age are getting a raw deal. On one hand, secular culture makes Christian singles feel like a cross between a prude and a dork because their values tell them to save sex for marriage--think 40-year old virgin. On the other hand, they have to endure week after week of feeling like second-class Christians in church cultures that practically idolize marriage.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself this question. When was the last time you heard a sermon on the exalted state of singleness? You don't remember? I'm not surprised. Did you know that both Jesus and Paul emphasized singleness as a preferred state of being over marriage? (Matthew 19:3-12, I Corinthians 7:8-9,27,32-35,38)

Let me say it loud and clear. Christian singles, there is nothing wrong with you! Please check out the website of an up and coming author named Ed Houston. I think Houston is doing a great service to the Body of Christ by addressing the subject of singleness in a positive manner, not simply as a dead man's zone between adolescence and marriage.

The Body of Christ desperately needs fresh voices like these.

Thank you Ed!

No comments: