Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Come to Jesus and Die!

I was flipping through the channels one day and I happened to catch a segment on the popular ABC Family Channel show "Whose Line is It Anyway?". This is a show where four comedians have to improvise funny scenarios at the suggestions of the audience and the host Drew Carey. The theme of the segment was "rejected state slogans." I about fell over my chair in laughter when the bald Canadian guy said "Come to Florida and die." Believe it or not, it actually took me a while to get that one. I think it came to me several days later that the comedian was actually making a reference to Florida being a state where people go to retire. (Side note-this is further proof that you don't have to be an exceptionally bright guy to be a theologian.)

It didn't take long for my overactive mind to make a spiritual application to the funny sketch. A simple thought came to me. "What if Christian evangelists started advertising our faith that way? Come to Jesus and die!" The idea may sound like a public relations nightmare for Christianity, but, strangely, I don't think Jesus would really mind. After all, it was He who said "He who desires to save his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for my sake will find it." In another place he said "He who comes after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me." In modern parlance, that would be akin to saying "Come follow me to the electric chair!" Doesn't sound too appealing at first glance. But then again, maybe self denial really isn't so bad. After all, isn't it one of the golden rules of happiness that unhappy people are generally selfish people? You don't have to be a spoiled, pampered brat to be selfish, all you have to do is live for the pleasures of this world and forget about the God who created you. Jesus challenges us all to die to our selfish desires and live for His desires. I don't know about you, but I'll gladly give my life for the one who loved me and gave Himself to die on the cross for me. Why live for earth when you can live for heaven?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

The great Protestant martyr of the Nazi era, Deitrich Bonhoeffer, said that when "Jesus bids us to come to him, He bids us to die".

If only our comfortable Christianity in the postmodern west would realize this before God has to allow something really drastic to wake us up from our spiritual slumber.

On another note: you left a great comment on twocitiesblog.blogspot.com about my article on Theo-Comedy.

Since your blog is called "Bible Answers for Seekers", I have a question for you:

What Scriptures can you think of that features:
1. Irony
2. Sarcasm
3. Comedy

AND: What does this say about how God wants to relate to us and how he wants us to relate to him?

I know this is a big question, but I bet your up to it, and I am interested in your take on it.

Check my profile and send me an email when you write it... and I will check back!

May Christ fill your life,
Nate Bostian

FYI: Blogging tip for newbies: turn on "comment verification" on your blog or else you will get Spam-bots filling up your comments with crapola! I learned the hard way...