Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Life in Brazil

I would like to take a moment to share with my readers what life is like here in Brazil. As I travel to different countries in the world, as I can, I would like to share what some of the differences are between the countries I go to and America, my home country. This will not always be possible because some countries I go to I will not be able to let the broader public know that I am there for security reasons. But since Brazil is a Christian country, it is totally safe for me to write to you.

So here goes. Besides men kissing each other and people tailgating each other on the roads (which I have already written about), there are many other differences between Brazil and America. The first thing that stands out is the food. People eat a lot here! Although they have a small breakfast, they have a large lunch and then a large dinner around 10:00 at night. The napkins are unlike anything I have ever seen in all the countries I have been to. Their napkins are just like what they use at Krispy Kreme to pick up the donuts. The grease just slips right back onto your fingers. I don't get it. Having said that, the food is excellent! Most of their restaurants are either buffets where you choose your food and then you put it on a scale, or they are barbecue restaurants where they bring the meat out to you and you choose what you want. Either way, it's all you can eat! I have yet to find a sit down restaurant where everyone orders just for themselves.

The hotels are rather strange in that they make you give your key to the receptionist before you leave, even if you are only going out for a few hours. Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense. I bet they don't lose as many keys that way. Many hotels also have automatic lights in their hallways. That is always a little odd walking outside your room to a dark hallway until the lights turn on.

In many churches, the worship is very similar to the U.S. except that they have their own songs and they are in Portuguese. Since there are 160 million people, they have a highly developed Christian celebrity culture just like we have in the U.S. Many churches have a group of dancers at the front of the stage who wave streams and flags to the songs. It is absolutely beautiful!

Brazil is far less conservative than America when it comes to sensuality. That is a great problem here that only the Church can address. Also, although Pentecostal Christianity is growing like wildfire here, there is also a revival of satanism and witchcraft. In one of my meetings, there were two young men making satanic signs during the worship. They were trying to put a curse on us. Thank God for the blood of Jesus that defeats every curse!

On a side note, the other night I preached to a crowd of 1,100 people and several came forward to receive Christ. Several also raised their hands when I asked if they had been healed after I prayed a mass prayer for the sick. God is good!

A second side note. An evangelist from Northern Ireland today told me I looked like Boy George. What?! First Bill Clinton, then Boy George?! So who do I really look like? Feel free to leave a comment. Don't worry, I'm a man. I can handle it.

Lastly, I want to know if you like this feature of me talking about the countries I go to. When I get back fromt the U.S. I plan to write more spiritual commentaries on everyday life and pop-culture. And, of course, as always. Feel free to ask me a Bible question. I am always up for a challenge! May God bless you as you study His Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you kinda look like boy george in his younger days. minus the glam androgenous look.

i like your observations of culture in other countries. please keep writing.