Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Friday, November 03, 2006

Missing Abraham

Yesterday, I was driving in Kentucky and I just happened to pass a sign indicating that Abraham Lincoln's birthplace was a few miles away. Since it was 4:45 p.m. I knew I had to act quick if I wanted to arrive on time to pay my tribute to the man who freed the slaves and preserved our union. When I finally arrived at 4:55 p.m. to my surprise I saw that the placed closed at 4:45 p.m. Talk about bad luck.

So, to soothe my conscience for missing my golden opportunity, I must pay tribute to the man through boring my readers with sentimental babble. Please bear with me for a moment. I'm seeking a little redemption.

Here are a few thoughts about honest Abe.

1. He had a crumby life but made the best of it.
2. Although he would have been labeled as clinically depressed by psychologists today, his life lifted the depression of those he freed.
3. He is the classic example of failing many times only to succeed in the end.
4. He was criticized as a tyrant in his day, but history has judged him kindly since.
5. The filmakers of the latest Planet of the Apes should have never replaced his statue with an ape. That was cheap.

So there you have my humble reflections on the life of one of the greatest men who ever lived. Moment of silence please.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have actually enjoyed the film more if they had made all the apes wear Lincoln-like top hats!
While Abe was a seemingly good man, he doesn't really impress me all that much for some reason. I think I prefer presidents who are vets. But the top hats on monkeys...that I'm sure about!

Anonymous said...

dude, how can you not like abe? that's backwards, man.

Anonymous said...

Toby,
I used to think that he was some super great guy too, but when I really studied his presidency I soon realized that the only reason I thought he was a hero was because my grade school teachers had told me that he was. I'm not saying he was a bad guy, but he's no more of a hero than Bush.
Now George Washington and Teddy Roosevelt...those are men I can admire.
Pete