Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The cheapening of fame

I have a confession to make. When I was growing up I wanted to either be either a baseball player or a movie star (that was after the phase of wanting to be a trashman) I realize that I am probably not the only one who had childhood dreams of fame and recognition.

Now that I am older, I think that I, along with the hundreds of thousands of teenagers who butcher Edwin McAin's "I'll Be" in front of Paula, Randy, and Simon on American Idol, need to find something else to live for.

In an age of You Tube, where grown men putting on leotards and acting like ballerinas can have over a million people watching them, fame is now a cheap commodity.

Perhaps Jesus really did know what He was talking about when He said, "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses His soul." This world is passing away. It will do us much better to live for the next one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete: [Slowly puts down basketball and takes off pregnant woman costume with intense look of disappointment/conviction]
{feebly}- "Yeah Aaron, it's a shame what people are doing for fame nowadays"

Aaron D. Taylor said...

Pete,

You're weird.

By the way, the meeting at my house is going to be a week from this Friday. Get there as soon as you can. Pass the word to Toby. Woerther will probably be there as well. Should be interesting.

Anonymous said...

got the message. but what exactly do you mean by "get there as early as you can"?

Aaron D. Taylor said...

I mean around 6 or 7, or as early as you can after you get off work.