Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Friday, March 02, 2007

A painful discovery

Although I am only 28 years old, I have read hundreds of books on theology, philosophy, history, ,current affairs, and just about every subject in between. I feel I have a fairly decent grasp at what is going on in the world. I've even authored two books. I said all that to say that over the past two evenings I have made a very painful discovery about myself- I am not smarter than a 5th grader.

Yes, it is true. I, along with millions of other Americans (at least I hope) have discovered just how little I actually know by watching Jeff Foxworthy's (remember the red-neck guy?) show on Fox Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Even worse, I couldn't even answer some of the first and second grade questions. To put it rather mildly, I've been humbled.

Can anyone think of a spiritual lesson that can be learned from a guy who thinks he's intelligent to find out that he is not actually smarter than a 5th grader?

Again, seeking redemption.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
I thought of some really weak parallels to Biblical principles, but they're not even worth noting. Luckily, due to my ability to store away useless facts, I'm actually a fan of the show because it makes me feel good about remembering all of those little facts that have otherwise proven quite worthless in life.
Pete

Anonymous said...

P.S. When are we going to play Trivial Pursuit again?

Aaron D. Taylor said...

Pete,

I'm not sure if I want to put myself through that again.

Anonymous said...

congratulations pete, you're as smart as a fifth grader. :] just kidding.

aaron, funny comment. i have a feeling that generally speaking, pete could whoop me at trivia as well. although i think pete might say we each have our areas of specialty.

Anonymous said...

NO I AM NOT AS SMART AS A FIFTH GRADER!!!....wait...umm...I mean I am...not...uhhh..I'm scared. The truth is that Paul would smoke both Toby, myself, and Aaron, possibly put together. But don't worry, at least we're all in better shape than him.....nope wait, that would just be you two. When do I get to win?
Pete

Aaron D. Taylor said...

I don't know Pete. If you're talking about Paul Woerther, I think he's in pretty good shape too. He's gotten pretty buff lately. I think he'd whoop my hyde if we ever got in a fight. Thank you for reminding me of not only of my mental incompetence, but my physical incompetence as well.

Kingdom Shifts said...

Aaron,

If you’re only on a 5th grade level, how did you graduate from CFNI? Just kidding! Obviously there are various types of thinking that we tend to gravitate towards due to our intellect and background. One of the pastors at my church is absolutely brilliant when it comes to memorization of Scripture and knowledge in general. He has a photogenic memory; however, he got his behind whooped in a game that required more abstract thinking. Keep up the good work!

Brian